Sunday, June 17, 2018

We Learn Each Other's Worth


We Learn Each Other’s Worth

What a worthy thought – We have to learn each other’s worth. 
I’ve had this in my idea file for a while now and no one seems to know who first said it.  However, it is a valid idea.

I am a step-father to three incredible adult individuals.  I came into their lives twelve years ago.  At first, there was nothing on which to build our relationship except their mother and I were deeply in love.  I think they reluctantly accepted that, and in time we, both sides of this picture, have learned each other’s worth.  Their fears centered around …
   ~Who is this guy?
   ~Can we trust him?
   ~Is he going to break her heart in short order?
   ~And our kids … he’s going to be around our kids.

And the song goes on. 

In time, trust came and we quickly learned of each other’s worth and value. 

That’s the way it is in relationships.  We settle in and show our value, our worth, our good traits. 

It is natural, in the beginning, to not trust someone new.  I’ve heard too many horror stories of this regarding the step-child/step-parent role.  I had it lucky.  Carolyn’s kids were all in their thirties.  Smaller children have the hard part.  They have no history, no past, no memories on which to build.  They – both sides – have to learn each other’s worth.

It cannot be forced, it cannot be bought, and it cannot be phony on either side. 

I am now in that situation in my job.  I move from one location to another as a float.  If it is a new branch to me, I do not know anyone, except by name only, and they only know I’m there for a short time.  They don’t know of my capabilities, my operating style, will they like me, or anything else except for a day or two, or perhaps a week or two, they have me and I have them. 

Here’s what I know about that, for anybody facing a situation in which you are interacting in new relationships.

~I’m not there to change their ways to my ways.  I am a support person.
~I’m not there to forge best-friend relationships right off the bat.  Rarely does that happen.
~I’m there to do the best job I can and support the team in any way I can.
~We earn our place in every societal experience we face.  We EARN!

This is an interesting post to me.  I didn’t intend to write something like this today.  However, here it is. 

Hope it hits someone’s good nerve as you face a new situation.  Let me know if that is so.


This is my
morning reflection.


P Michael Biggs
Words of Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration



No comments:

Post a Comment