Thursday, March 22, 2018

What Can You Do?


What CAN You Do?

In my early childhood, I was told a lot of ‘no’s’.  And some of it carried over into my young adulthood.

“Leave that thing along.  You don’t know ‘nothing ‘bout machinery” was once said to me as I sat on the floor watching a reel-to-reel tape recorder.  I had such a fascination for those machines.

Once I was told I couldn’t buy a circular saw because “you’ll cut your fingers off.”

I hate being told “no”, “don’t,” “you shouldn’t”, “you can’t”, and a thousand other limiting responses.

Later in life, I learned to operate several different kinds of tape recorders, including DAT machines and I now produce podcasts on iMovie.  My curiosity was in preparation for skills I could later put into full use in life.

I indeed bought a circular saw twenty years ago, and I still have all my fingers and toes, and a few small wood-projects that I’ve built.

     What makes you
      curious? 
          What intrigues you? 
               What captures your attention? 

Perhaps that very apparatus or idea, thought or suggestion holds the seed for a future skill, a future, career. 

Something I learned a few years ago “… Just because ‘they’ say so doesn’t make it so.”

If the idea and fascination burns within you, there is a good indication that whatever the fascination is, it could be a good fit for you. 

I have been taken with writing for thirty years or more.  I didn’t actively embrace this love until 2009.  I dabbled in it with some careers I had and wrote ad copy, video scripts and brochure copy.  In October 2009, I started my first blog and today I have five blog sights that I own and write ten or more blogs every week, and in these 8 ½ years I’ve published over 2000 posts. 

Oh, at first, I didn’t receive much praise for my writing, and frankly, some of it was rough around the edges, to say the least.  And I persisted.

My point is this … discover whatever it is that whets your appetite and go make it so.  You don’t need a diploma, a badge, an invitation from the Governor or a permission slip from anyone except yourself.

Set yourself free! 

Create!


This is my morning reflection.

Words of Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment