Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Learning to Dance in the Rain


Learning to Dance in the Rain

It started raining in October 2017 and rained until mid-to-late February 2018. And I learned to dance in the rain.

You see, I was admitted to the hospital for what turned out to be a great need for heart bypass surgery. That was a horrible rain. It pounded, and puddled, stormed and blew. But I danced anyway.

My cardio doctor told me I was too weak for
immediate surgery and we would have to put it off until January. I started going to the gym and got stronger and better. We moved the surgery up to Dec. 18. I danced some more.

Surgery before Christmas is not the ideal timing, but we had a great Christmas and I danced some more. On Christmas Day, my first day out after surgery, we went to Cari’s house where all the family was gathered, and I danced. It was a lovely dance.

We settled into a good life-rhythm after Christmas and we danced some more. Carolyn got really good at fixing meals that were on my ‘good’ list and I ate like a King, and we danced.

My sister, Lynn, came for a visit in January and helped out for a week. We had a grand visit and we danced some more.

I dealt with the dizziness, the off-balance issues, the ‘adjusting the meds’ regime and constant feelings of being ‘cold’, and we danced right along with all of that.

I went to my after-surgery appointment and we danced all the way home, for he was very pleased with me.

And just last week, we had a jubilee dance. My primary care physician had me come in for an A1C blood draw. If you are diabetic, you know all about that. We’ve been watching those numbers for a while now and needed to get them below the 7% mark.

He emailed me a couple of hours later. My number was 5.4%. You should have seen how we danced.

Nobody wants to go through this kind of surgery.

NO BODY!
However … if you do. I hope you find those moments when you can’t help but dance. Celebrate those small steps, the tiny improvements, the bits and pieces when life is good in spite of the setback, and dance … dance … dance.
This is my morning reflection.

Words of Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment