Thursday, May 25, 2017

Belonging or Fitting In

“Just fit in where you can.  And don’t make waves” they say.  In other words, change who you are and blend in.  Don’t stand out.  Don’t let your true colors be seen, and for God’s sake, don’t be individualistic.”

And if that is “fitting in” then shoot me now. 

Fitting in is changing me and my ideas, my unique twist that I can offer and just being a robot, just one more nonentity in a long string of other nobodies.

No thank you.  I don’t want to play that game.

I want something to which I can belong.  I want a place in which to plug into where my own uniqueness is recognized and appreciated. 

You too?

Good for you. 

GREAT FOR YOU! 

I’m a bit tired of being made to look like everyone else, smell like everyone else.  And I don’t want to wear the uniform of the day just like everyone else.

When I feel I belong, then I get to be me, true and authentic to my true self.  I like ME and I do ‘me’ best when I feel I belong. 

Fit in?  No thank you.  Bend and twist to your tune?  I don’t think so.  Drink your cool aide?  No, I prefer my own brew.

You see, I have a brain.  I have reasoning skills.  I have talents lying inside of me that I haven’t even discovered yet, and you want me to shove all that aside and do your bidding just so I can fit in?

No thanks.

I’m going to seek my own place and space, my own opportunities where I can stretch my wings, where I can think for myself, and where my expressions are unique to me. 

If I have to fit into your rule book, your agenda, your slant, then something inside of me dies and that is a death I can no longer bear.  I don’t want to be like everybody else.  I don’t want to be like you.  I’m me and my voice is different from yours.  Do you want to hear me sing, or write, or build, or create, or not?

I have learned this in life … I thrive in soil that nurtures me, soil that promotes growth and exploration. 

You want the best “me” you ever saw?

Then create a space and a place in which I belong.  I no longer want to fit in.

And now … Brene Brown will add the crowning touch to this thought




Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment