Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Shelf-life of Good Deeds

We throw out spoiled milk when it starts to smell sour.  I ate some cheese in my eggs one morning and had to stop after two bites. The cheese had a shelf-life that had gone by.  Fresh foods have a shelf-life.  They are good for a time, and then, kaput!

Do my words and actions have a shelf-life? 

Maya Angelou thinks so.  She says this:


I can relate.  Can you?

When I was 7 years old, I was at my brother’s baseball game one Thursday night when our neighbor, Folk Lambert, came up to me and said, “Hey Mike.  Come here. I want to give you something.”

He reached into his pocket and handed me a shiny fifty-cent piece.  I thought I had won the lottery.  I enjoyed a Moon Pie and an RC Cola, and then topped it all off with a Snicker’s candy bar.  In fifteen minutes the fifty-cents were gone.  But the memory still lingers sixty years later. 

Folk was our neighbor.  I knew his sons.  And for one moment in time he did a deed that I’ve never forgotten.  It wasn’t rocket science.  It didn’t move the world off its axis.  He simply recognized me for an instant and gave me more than fifty-cents.  He gave me esteem.

I once was given $3000 anonymously.  It was a dreary time in my life when the bills were due and I was in a dark spot.  I have never forgotten the time and date when handed that envelope (which I have kept), with those bills inside.  I cried.  I was a grown man and I cried. 

Do good deeds have a shelf-life? 

You bet they do.

What good deeds have come your way in days gone by?  How often do you recall them and what kind and esteeming thoughts dart through your mind when you reminisce on that moment?

Perhaps we can pass this idea along.  Perhaps there is someone who will cross your path today and you can do one simple act of good will, and that act or kind word will mark them for life – in a good way.  Your good deed just might take on its own FOREVER shelf-life!

Now wouldn’t that be something.


Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment