Saturday, March 17, 2018

The Great Hunger for Appreciation


The Great Hunger for Appreciation

This topic is near and dear to my heart, for it lies at the center of the reason I write.  We live in an age when the hunger for recognition, for validation and for appreciation is running rampant.  Mankind simply wants to be recognized. 

Mother Teresa once said this: 
“There is more hunger for love
and appreciation in this world
than for bread.
~Mother Teresa

I ate breakfast at a local cafĂ© this morning.  My waitress was a pleasant lady of thirty-five.  She performs the same duties day in and day out for months and years on end. 

She brought my coffee.  I thanked her.
She brought my eggs.  I thanked her.
She refilled my coffee.  I thanked her.
She brought my check. I thanked her.

She came to my table no less than six times, and each time I thanked her.
And with each ‘thank you’, I could swear she stood a bit taller.  I know she smiled broader, and I didn’t notice a broader smile with any of her other customers.  I gave her what she needed most – recognition and appreciation.

Oprah Winfrey said something in her last show, after 25-years, and I never get far from it. 




"I've talked to nearly 30,000 people
on this show, and all 30,000 had
one thing in common;
they all wanted validation.
They wanted to know,
do you hear me?
Do you see me?
Does what I say
mean anything to you?"

 What was it Mother Teresa said? 
“… more hunger for love and appreciation …”


This is my morning reflection.



Words of Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment