Thursday, July 6, 2017

Is Bigger Better

The romance of living small!  Carolyn and I have wondered at times about the life of house-boat living.  The space obviously would be less, but what a romantic, idyllic idea.

I subscribe to a daily email newsletter called “Tiny House Newsletter”.  I’ve found some amazing tiny spaces that could make for some simple and lovely living.

The question begs to be asked … Do we really need all this stuff?

Carolyn is in Japan for eight days.  The apartment where our Japanese friends live is 600 square feet, and that is for a family of four.  A land owner and home owner in Japan is considered highly wealthy.  And yet the masses throng the streets every day and live out their lives in small spaces and places.

Is bigger better?

I sometimes think of the Christians in the days of severe persecution.  They worshiped in caves and secret places, and had to keep the noise down for fear of discovery. 

Today, in many churches we feel slighted if we have only one person leading the music and a simple piano.  And a church without an adequate public address system … well, we best avoid that one.

And our homes get bigger, our thirsts get larger and we want more.

“I’ll have the double, extra hot, super-sized Grande with extra java.”
“Do you want the super-sized or extra-king-sized super-sized?”

Is my life somehow less perfect just because I don’t have what my neighbor has?

Am I a lesser person living on $30,000 a year and would I be more esteemed if I made $100,000?

We are pushed on every hand to produce more, make more, build more, invite more, have more, buy more, read more, listen more.  We do, indeed, live in a more, more, more age.

When I reflect on my first Christmas after my divorce I remember that I only got two Christmas gifts that year.  I was used to ten or twelve gifts, and now … two.

And … I wrote in my journal “I am happy.  I have my health.  God loves me.  What more could I want?”


Zig Ziglar once said … 
"The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." 

I’m not trying to solve the world’s problems here … I’m just giving you and me a moment to pause.

This is my morning reflection. 



Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment