Thursday, January 5, 2017

Pretend Until You Do

Everything starts with ‘What if’.  Play is a precursor to doing. 
One of my favorite authors is Austin Kleon.  His words resonant with me today. 


I think of the space industry when I think of this concept.  They play - they simulate - they envision every conceivable scenario in their pursuit of discovery of vast horizons beyond the present scope of mankind.  They play so that they can get it right. 

One of the tools of sports psychologist is for an athlete to practice in one’s mind before he/she practices on the field.  Pretend you are the greatest, the fastest, the strongest and the most poised.  When you see it in your mind first, then perhaps you will see it.

I watched and practiced in my mind what I saw other musical conductors do in real time.  I learned first, and then practiced in my mind. 

Even today, I’m looking for authors to emulate.  I look for words, phrases, tone, adjectives and metaphors that I can use and adapt as my own.  That is how I best learn. 

In every endeavor, we can pretend until we do.

I want a tall glass of this please.



Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment