Thursday, January 26, 2017

Killing Nigel

I must make a confession.  I have committed murder.  Shock and awe. 
I have killed Nigel, otherwise known as Negative Nigel.

He is mean and cruel.  He is a no-good, low-life, louse.  He robs.  He steals.  He profanes.  He derails plans.  He is no good I tell you … no good at all.

And to top it all off, Negative Nigel has about ninety-nine lives.  In my years of living I have probably already killed Nigel at least a dozen times, yet every time he comes back from the dead to do his dastardly deeds.

Perhaps you’ve met your own version of Negative Nigel.  His voice sounds something like this …

“You can’t do that.”
“Nobody will buy it or like it.”
“Are you crazy.  It will never work.”
“That’s gonna cost a fortune.”  
“But you’re just a small person, a small thinker, a nobody.”
“They will laugh you out of town.”
“They will throw stones at your work.”
“That kind of book won’t sell.”
“You’re not made to do that kind of work.”
“You’ll lose your shirt.”
“You’ll cut your fingers off with that saw.”
“But you’ve had so many failures before.  Why fail one more time?”


You see what I mean.  I’ve got to kill Nigel before he kills me.

Every good idea I’ve ever had, Nigel comes along and tries to talk me out of it.  He continually whispers in my ear that I can’t do something.  He throws up roadblocks and tries to keep me from certain roads.

Well, Nigel. Your days are numbered once
again.   I’ve got ideas, plans, dreams, hopes, ambitions.  I can see my future clearly and I’m far from over the hill.  I’m not near death.  I’m not even sick, except maybe sick of your sniveling remarks.  Nigel, you are a whiner, a complainer, a negative ninny, and a no-good louse.

GO AWAY NIGEL!
  
For all of us who have struggled with a nemesis like Nigel, there is hope.  There is relief.  There is an answer.

And the answer is … belief, faith, hope, courage, determination.

You, like me, may have to do battle with your Nigel every day, or at least every week, and the good news is … the Nigel’s of this world can be conquered. 

Do you believe?
~Do you believe in your dreams enough to do them in spite of the negative thoughts that plague you?
~Do you believe in YOU enough to overcome the voices that say ‘don’t try, don’t go there, don’t do that, it’s already been done before’?

Belief is the only antidote to overcoming the Negative Nigel’s in this world. 
~Belief that YOU are capable.
~Belief that YOU are worthy.
~Belief that YOUR dreams matter.

Go ahead … take a shot at Nigel. 



Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment