Friday, September 20, 2013

The Reconciled Heart

I’m going to write about something I've personally experienced yet barely understand.  Crazy, I know, but let’s go down this trail together.

Here is our premise: 

The reconciled heart says that everything 
that has happened to me had to happen 
to make me who I am – without exception.
~Brennan Manning

Just reflect for a moment on all that has happened to you in your lifetime thus far.  Certainly, a lot of it is good and worthwhile stuff.  And then we hit the rough places.

Let’s name names, just to jog our memories.
  Divorce
  Bankruptcy
  Severe illness (your own or of a loved one)
  Death of a parent, child or sibling
  Loss of a job and income
  Fortunes lost in some kind of stock market crash
  Public embarrassment
  Business failure or near-collapse
  Betrayal by an employee or employer
  
… And oh so many more.

No one enjoys these life-changing crises in the moment.  Personally, I’d rather have a root canal than have to go through much of what I've endured. 

Endured!

That is a good word.  We endure the bitter brew of life. 

And look at us today – after the fact.  Look at the molding and shaping that has taken place.  Look at the resilience that we now have.  Look at our more wizened outlook on life.

What have we learned?

Premise:  If we allow God to work through all of life’s circumstances, what other stance can we claim than to say “look what all of this has made of me.”

I’m reminded of Romans 8:28.  I particularly like this Contemporary English Version wording.

“We know that God is always at work for the good of everyone who loves him.  They are the ones God has chosen for his purpose.”

As I reflect on this verse I wonder how my story influences my writing.  Did this stuff have to happen to me in order for God to use me on occasion? 

I would not be so pompous as to believe there is glory in any suffering that I've endured.  However, there is some kind of redemption at work. 

In the process of living life and enduring stuff, I have chosen to rise above any hardship, any setback and any trial I've endured.  I think that is a critical concept.  We rise above

What would our lives be today without these experiences?  We have no idea.  We can’t even begin to speculate on that one. 

All we can do is trust the God who has held our hand at those critical junctions in life and give Him thanks for bringing us out onto solid ground.  The hymn Blessed Assurance puts it this way.
This is my story
This is my song

So, for all of us – to God be the glory

We experience grace for every moment, and somehow that is enough.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment