Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Say Your Lines

I've produced a few Christmas and Easter pageants in my time.  I've coached actors, blocked them, and directed them on where to stand, how to stand and how to say their lines.

And now I’m the one delivering the lines, and so are you.  I say my lines with writing and speaking.  You do too.  Have you ever thought about that?

Oh, you might think I mean in church on Sunday.  I teach a Sunday school class now and every week I have lines to say.  You probably sing on the songs, or read some scripture in some kind of liturgy in your worship experience. 

I think my most important lines are said out there, away from the four walls of the church and steeple.  Sometimes I’m a bit-part player with a walk-on role and nothing to say; just actions that speak louder than words. 

I don’t know how it is where you live, but I find people every day in need of a word of hope.  They need a line or two said on time and with the right inflection to help them make it to their next spot in the drama of life.

Maybe they are headed to a job interview, or perhaps a medical appointment.  Some have kids that give them hassles; others hassle their boss. 

So each week, I try to write and say my lines.  I try to be well prepared and do a good, even great job in the play of life.

Do you say your lines well?  You have a part to play also.  You rub elbows with people just like you, and they need a touch of divinity in their dark and dreary world, just like you and me. 

We can share words of hope.  We break the bread of encouragement when we dispense what is good and acceptable to mankind.  We do it with grace and style, and compassion.  We give life through our words. 

Life Through Words – what a concept. 

So, let the play open on time.  Let the curtain rise.  Let the music swell.  I just want to be on my mark, right on time.  I want to speak loudly enough to be heard, yet tenderly enough to touch a heart. 

And if I have a bit part as a walk-on actor, then let me do it with style and grace.  Let me model what the author of the play intended. 

And if the critics don’t like it, that’s okay.  All I care about is hearing “Well done, good and faithful one” from the one who wrote the play.
  
P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment