Monday, June 17, 2013

Are You Important

The great need in life – to be important to someone. 

Are you – important, or are you tolerated?
Does someone really think you matter? 

This matter of importance is more about the quality of our relationships than it is about status, prestige, money, influence and political posturing.

Our importance factor reaches down to the depths of our soul, our self-worth.  We all greatly desire to be important to someone. 

Seth Godin wrote a book called Linchpin and it deals with this subject on a business level.  A linchpin is that critical person who proves to be a problem solver, the golden haired man/woman who can do no wrong and wins the day every time for the cause. 

That’s great, but I’m talking about the small two-bedroom house on East Elm in bad need of a paint job and a new roof.  Who is important in that house, or in any house in the world for that matter? 

In our relationships, the greatest gift we can give is still found in some old fashioned qualities – love, care, and being made to feel important.

Being made to feel important – that’s profound.

I feel important every time Carolyn sends me a note on one of my blogs.
I feel important when a long-time friend writes or calls out of the blue just to say “hi”.
I feel important when they remember my name at my favorite restaurant.
I feel important when my grandkids rush into our condo and give Carolyn and me a hug.

Somebody nearby needs to know that you think they are important.

Go.  Say the words.  Do the act.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment