Monday, October 8, 2012

The Wind in My Sails



The Wind in My Sails

Living in the northwest, we are very aware of sailboats and their beauty.  But a sailboat is practically useless without the wind in its sails. 

And so it is with us.  Sometimes we need nothing more than for someone to come along and blow into our sails at the right moment with just the right touch.  When that happens, it becomes a magical moment.

Just last night, Carolyn was the wind in my sails. I had a frustrating day. 
I had to unload. 
She listened. 

I needed to express frustrations. 
She empathized. 

She blew into my sails last night. 

When we run out of steam, when the hard places get harder, or when we just need to vent, may someone come along and be the wind in our sails.


The other side of this coin is this: Do we dare become the wind in someone else’s sails when they need us most?

Are we willing to inflate rather than deflate someone’s sails? 
Will we dare to blow great words of encouragement and uplifting thoughts to push them further toward their destiny?

Dare indeed.

My wish for you is two-fold.

1.     I hope someone comes into your life at the precise moment you are most in need.  What a blessing those people are to us.
2.    I hope we can be the puff of wind for someone else when they need us the most.

-Sometimes it is a simple word
-Sometimes a note in the mail or by email
-Sometimes a cup of coffee and gentle conversation

-Sometimes it’s being present and allowing one to grieve, express, explode, rant, or rave.  Your job is to simply sit, listen, empathize, and be a world-class friend in that moment.

Be the wind in someone’s sails.

Love them. 
Listen to them. 
Let them

(Sailboats photo courtesy of Ken Sjodin, Ken's Photography)


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment