Monday, September 30, 2013

Value People

The gist of what I want to say is found in the title.  But wait, there’s more. 

So here’s the thing. 

Every person alive is a person of worth.  Do we honor the worth and dignity of the people with whom we rub elbows?

Do we give them a chance to strut their stuff?
Do we listen with respect?
Do we honor them with eye contact? 
Do we attempt to remember their name and get it right?

These are the character traits of one who values people.

Well-known physician, Dr. Bernie Siegel, author of Love Medicine and Miracles, once asked two terminally ill patients what they wanted most from their medical professionals.  Here are their responses.

~“Let me talk first.”
~“Knock on my door.”
~“Say ’Hello’.”
~“Say ‘Goodbye’.”
~“And look me in the eye when you talk to me.”

Nobody said “Cure me.  Get me a transplant.”
They said “Treat me like a human being.”

When we value the worth of the individual we always win with people. 



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment