Friday, June 21, 2013

Say Your Lines

In the 2nd grade our school put on a play and I played Ben Franklin.  Mom made me this amazing costume that looked early American with white stockings, the pants gathered at the knees with elastic and two big buckles for my shoes made from cardboard covered in aluminum foil. 

I said my two short lines.  All is forgotten except the costume, and this is not about costumes. 

We all have lines to say, and I hope we say them well. 



-For some, it is baking the best cherry pie in town and taking it to a family in bereavement.

-Others write beautiful notes that speak of thoughts and prayers being sent to someone at a time in need.

-I’ve known a few who were handy men and women and they stood ready to help in any way possible. 

-Some help others by driving a wheel barrow, mowing a lawn, painting a fence or washing an automobile just because it is a line in the drama of life and they can play that part very well.

-Tonight on our way home from downtown Seattle we saw a man helping a stranded motorist change a flat tire on the side of busy I-5.


They are just saying their lines; doing what needs to be done,
     Right on time
          Not too loud
               Not too soft
                    Never late

… and they remember every word.

Just showing up and delivering because that is their role for the moment.

Where would we be without those who simply say their lines? 

There are roles for you and me, and sometimes, our world around us needs our star performance.

Say your lines.  Be a part of the drama of life.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment