Monday, May 28, 2018

A Word about 'Light'


A Word about ‘Light’

Doors open when we read a good book, and open doors is another way of saying ‘let in more light.’

In my blog ideas file on my computer, I have 178 pages and they are full of quotes and quips, some long passages, some short phases, and they all have come from some book that I was reading at that moment in time.  I feed on these quotes and quips weekly, especially when I am fishing for an idea on which to write.

I cannot live without books.  Just in the last three days I’ve bought three books.  How many do I own?  I have no idea, but they would fill several boxes.  And they are my friends.  They are my mentors.  They are my guides in life.

And they are my light source.  What a great play on words – books as light.  It’s a natural occurrence, I think. 

My love affair started, as best as I can recall, with Dale Carnegie’s classic How to Win Friends and Influence People.  This book still speaks to me, as it does to many others.  I’ve given it as a gift, and I often review my notes from it in search of an idea or two.

I also ready some books as a young teen called the Danny Orlis Series, put out by Moody Press.  Those, to me, modeled the kind of character traits I wanted to possess in my own life.  They were of a Christian perspective, and the values I gained still shape me.

Books are lights – plain and simple. 

Books reveal insights, direction, wisdom, courage, morals, and a whole host of other good traits.

I’ve learned a lot from the likes of Og Mandino, Julia Cameron, Brennan Manning, Philip Yancey, Napoleon Hill, Brene Brown, Mary Oliver, Oprah Winfrey, Cynthia Kersey, Seth Godin, Malcom Gladwell, Daniel Coyle, Maxwell Maltz, Zig Ziglar, Max Lucado, Louis L'Amour, Austin Kleon, Tom Rath, Donald O. Clifton, Kevin Hall, Bob Goff, Henry Nouwen, Mitch Albom, Mary Kay Ash, Richard Bach, John C. Maxwell, Mother Theresa, and a whole lot more.

I’m doing all in my power to let in more light.

Do you need more light?

Read!

This is my
morning reflection.



Words of Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment