Thursday, December 1, 2016

And Try to Keep It All Year Long

During my writing session this morning I ran across this line from A Christmas Carol by Dickens.

“I will honor Christmas in my heart, 
and try to keep it all the year.’

Now wouldn’t that be something if we were indeed able to keep the spirit of Christmas all year long? 

Let me think for a moment …

At Christmas we:
  ~Smile a bit more
  ~Sing a few more tunes
  ~Give a bit more generously
  ~Love a bit more lovingly 
  ~We think of others and their wants and needs

I think we’re on to something here. 

What if I carried the spirit of Christmas on into the cold of January, and the harsh winds of March, the heat of June and the colorful leaves of October.

I never get far from John F. Kennedy’s words, and I feel they somehow fit this thought today.

Our most basic common link
Is that we all inhabit this planet.
We all breathe the same air. 
We all cherish our children’s future.
And we are all mortal.

When we consider this, it helps put Christmas and beyond in better perspective, I think.  It’s not about me or about you really.  Oh, we get caught up in the Me-Me-Me mindset, and I know that about mankind, but really, the focus might ought to be turned toward Us-Us-Us!

You have dreams and I have dreams.  How can we pursue those in tandem?
You have wants and needs and I have wants and needs.  What can I do to help you?

And the last line clinches it for me ~ AND WE ARE ALL MORTAL!

At the end of the day – at the end of the age – we are on equal footing.  I am not white privilege and you are not whatever you are.  WE are in this together.

I pray to God that I will remember that come January 1, and March 23, and July 20, and October 31. 

WE are creatures of God Almighty. 

He loves each of us – knows each of us – and He calls us by name.

A thought for this Christmas … and beyond.


Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment