Monday, February 17, 2014

Got Faith in Self

We have an important topic for today.  It lies at the core of everything we are, everything we believe, and everything we might hope to accomplish in the future.

It is the subject of faith in self.

Do you see yourself as a worthy and credible human being?  Do you see that you have skills, innate abilities unlike any other person, that you have your own individual sound to your voice, your own finger prints, your own DNA?  You are unlike every other person on earth and for that reason, you are a unique human.

The topic of developing a wholesome self-concept is a crucial one.  What do you believe about you?

A perfect illustration of this point is found in an old Shoe cartoon strip.  Shoe, the somewhat grouchy news editor is the pitcher on the mound in a company baseball game.  He and his catcher are in conference and the catcher says, “Shoe, you just have to have confidence in your curve ball.”

As the catcher walks away, Shoe is silently saying, “That’s easy for him to say.  When it comes to believing in me, I’m an agnostic.”

Therein lays the problem.  We don’t believe in self.  We don’t accept ourselves as being valid, and we don’t value self.  Often, we resort to the “poor me” syndrome and use self-defeating self-talk.

John Maxwell adds some insight.

“People believe they will fail.  If they see a light at the end of the tunnel they believe it is a train.  They see a difficulty in every responsibility.”

What should we do about that?

Somewhere, somehow, we must find good and accurate input to help shed light on our predicament.  There are many fine books on self-esteem development in bookstores, and there are some incredibly gifted therapist who can guide us through the tricky maze of self-development and wholesome self-image. 

If I start naming books, for every book named, there are dozens that are omitted only for space sake.  Do some research and ask others who have a handle on this aspect of life.

There are some wonderful aphorisms that many find useful.  They include thoughts from the Bible as well as from other learned men and women.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
“God is with me.”
“Nothing is impossible with God.”
“God loves me just like I am.”

“I am somebody.”
“I can.”
“I will.”
“I approve of myself.”
“I am a worthwhile human being.”

A personal story:  I too have suffered with a lack of self-faith.  One day, not too many years ago, I began using the phrase “I approve of myself.”  I cannot begin to tell you the powerful effects of this simple phrase.  It worked for me. 

And now a word for those who have friends and relatives who suffer with a lack of self-belief:

Most people do not have even one person to whom they can turn who demonstrates faith and confidence in them.  How can you demonstrate that one aspect to your friend?  Find one or two strengths you can immediately see and point those out. 

I heard of a derelict that once had someone comment on how neatly his shoes were laced.  The next day, he appeared in front of his friend.  He was cleaned up, shaved, dressed and the transformation was remarkable. 

When a person feels esteemed enough that one other human being cares and believes in them, it can change his/her life.  How can we become the catalyst for this kind of life transformation for someone else?

John Maxwell gives us this important insight:  “Your job is not to get people to think more highly of you.  Your job is to get them to think more highly of themselves.” 

Back to our original question:  Got Faith in Self?

Ultimately it is an inside job, and often that starts with some outside help.

Books
Counselors
Friends
Religious Faith

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment