Friday, February 14, 2014

Ants In Your Pants

When I was a kid in Tennessee, we loved to play Cowboys and Indians.  One day, I was a Cowboy and got shot, so I did the honorable thing and lay down pretending I was dead.

Unfortunately I lay on an ant hill.  My death was short lived, for I jumped up rather quickly and began the dance of my life.  The ants were everywhere they should not have been and I was bound and determined to get them off of me and out of my clothes as quickly as possible. 

It was not a pretty sight.  I had ants in my pants.  Ug!

Don’t you hate ants in your pants? 

Ever had doubts?  Frederick Buechner says this about that.

“Doubts are like ants in the pants.”
~Frederick Buechner

God has me in a grip of “who do you trust” in these days.  I sometimes boldly confess “I trust you God” and the next day the fears come, along with doubt, and I cry out, “Okay God, some things are coming up and I’m gonna need this, and this and this.  Are you there?”

Inside I imagine I’m doing my little dance jig like I mentioned above.  All the while, God is watching, probably smiling to Himself, and trying to say to me, “Hold on there son.  I've got this.”

And along comes the answer, or the deposit, or the idea or whatever it was I needed.

This trust thing is sometimes hard work.  Our human nature says “go, do, build, work hard, call, worry, fret, and stew.”

And God?

He only says, TRUST!

T R U S T ! ! !

What exactly are we trusting when He answers us in this way?

…His goodness
…His watchful eye
…His steady hand on the wheel of our lives
…His abundance
…His ability to meet every need

And above all, we trust His consistency. 


Here is my paraphrase:

“I have been young, and now, not so young, however, HOWEVER, never have I seen the child of God abandoned or his descendants begging for bread.”

This, my friend, is the remedy for ants in your pants. 

He really is worthy of our trust.

Always has been.

Always will be!

P Michael Biggs
Up-Words.net
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment