Friday, July 26, 2013

Light Side Dark Side

I hate to break the news to you but you and I have a light side
and a dark side.

Oh, we love to boast of our light side – the side that gets good grades, good jobs, good salaries, the prize ribbon, acknowledgements, the proud testimonies on Wednesday night prayer meeting, and our perfect kids and grandkids.

And then we face the dark side.  Oh brother – what a mess.  

We brush that one under the carpet and out the door.  We throw a coat of paint on the dark side, we ignore it, and we never talk about it except in hushed tones.  We don’t even acknowledge the dark side. 

But it is there.

Perhaps it is time to bring the dark side out into the light and let it breathe.  I want to borrow from my friend Brennan Manning.

“To live by grace means to acknowledge my whole life story, the light side and the dark. In admitting my shadow side I learn who I am and what God's grace means.
~Brennan Manning


“I learn who I am and what grace means” is a significant phrase. 

It doesn’t take much grace to live on the bright side of the street where everything is coming up roses. 

Meanwhile, on the dark side, we’d rather cover it over.

But in the shadows God brings redemption.  He brings hope, salvation, and an opportunity to turn the shadows into sunshine. 

Did you notice the word “admitting”?  Admission to anything is the first step toward healing and redemption.  It is necessary.  And look at the result.

Darkness becomes light.
Sadness turns to joy.
Sins melt into salvation.
Brokenness becomes wholeness.

What a concept.  It’s called GRACE!

In admitting my shadow side I learn who I am and what God's grace means.

There are no signs of reticence on God’s part when dealing with our shadow side.  There is a tremendous amount of love and forgiveness here.  And we, the recipient, reap the benefit.  We learn who we are and we see with fresh eyes God’s grace. 

That is something to celebrate. 

Just look at the demons we each fight.  Again, let Brennan’s words speak to us.

“When I get honest, I admit I am a bundle of paradoxes.
 I believe and I doubt
  I hope and get discouraged
   I love and I hate
    I feel bad about feeling good
     I feel guilty about not feeling guilty
      I am trusting and suspicious
       I am honest and I still play games

As Thomas Merton put it, "A saint is not someone who is good but one who experiences the goodness of God."

I pray that we all experience this great goodness of God and step into the light. 

…Cause in the light, the shadows disappear.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


1 comment:

  1. As soon as you write "Grace" or "Brennan Manning," I know I'm going to have an inspiring moment that will help me remember who I am - and who I'm not, but who I hope to be.

    ReplyDelete