Monday, March 11, 2013

Singing



Let me tell you a true story as related by Anne Lamott in Help Thanks Wow.


“My friend Mason, who is fifteen and has brain cancer, had a massive bleed eighteen months ago.  He was in a coma and then for many months in a deeply silent condition where it seemed to me, but not to his mother, that he was brain-damaged.

One day his mother e-mailed me a video from Mason’s rehap hospital in Texas, titled “Mason Singing.”  My heart leapt.  His brother had filmed him in a music therapy, sitting in a wheelchair between his mother and his therapist, who was playing “He’s Got the Whole Word in His Hands.” 

At the end of the line, Mason would make a sound that was close to “hands,” and everyone cheered.  I inwardly groaned, having imagined something so different, so much better. “

Later that morning I went up along to my praying place.  I prayed for a glimpse of wisdom.  By the time I got to the bottom of the hill, I was amazed that Mason, silent for so long, had sung. “
There is singing, and there is singing.”


Amazing insight.  Amazing experience. 

To be able to hear singing in the middle of a mess indicates a rare individual indeed.

Listen for the singing in unusual places.  That’s the best kind of music.
Look for subtle signs of hope at odd moments in your relationships.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment