Monday, July 23, 2012

She Noticed Me



She Noticed Me

When I was in the sixth grade I had an English teacher by the name of Sarah Jones.  She made an impression on me for several reasons.  She was a great teacher, she was fair in her discipline and she recognized me one day in class. 

One February morning in English class she assigned us the project of writing an essay.  The subject was titled “Looking out My Bedroom Window.”  We were to write about anything that we saw as we gazed outside our window. 

That night, before my Mom called us to supper, I had a flash of insight and began writing as I looked and watched, watched and observed, observed and gazed outside my bedroom window.

I turned in my paper, and on Friday of that week Mrs. Jones announced that she was going to read excerpts from some of our papers.  The third one she read from was my paper.  My goodness. 

As she read from my paper, she simply said, “Michael wrote the following,” and then she read my words.  “My neighbor’s dog is coming around the corner of the house.  She is walking slowly, wagging her tail.  She is white and brown and a mixed breed, and she is the most gentle of dogs, with large, long ears.” 

Now, that’s not exactly Pulitzer Prize material, but to my sixth grade ears that was as good as it gets.  I was recognized for having done something acceptable.  I was being singled out to receive a medal for being acceptable.

Mrs. Jones made my day, and I’ve never forgotten. 

And now I seek opportunities to make someone else’s day.  My goal, my aim in life is to offer offer hope, encouragement and inspiration one word at a time.

I want to catch someone doing something right and shout to the world, “You are a hero for a day!” 

I want people to feel validated and feel that they make a significant contribution to our world.

Mrs. Jones made my day that morning.  Her words of praise have stayed with me all these years.  Perhaps I still hear her reading my words in class.  All that I truly know is that it made a difference in this Tennessee boy at that moment in time. 

So, how can we notice someone today?  Find someone and say in effect, “You, the skinny kid with the dirty tennis shoes and ragtag jeans.  Yes, you!  You are special and I recognize you.”

Make someone’s day.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment