Monday, July 16, 2012

I'm Okay So Far



I’m OK So Far

I recently listened to an audio recording by Dr. Bernie Siegel, author of Love, Medicine and Miracles.  He told the following story.

“A man was working on the top floor of a fifty-story building in New York City.  One day he stumbled and started falling.  At every floor, as he was continuing to fall, people would ask him “How are you?”  His response was always the same.  ‘I’m okay so far.

As he fell from floor to floor you could hear him say ‘I’m okay so far. 

Now that’s an illustration, not a true story, and it has some applications for us today I think.

What has caused you to stumble in your life?  Have you lost your footing and fallen down a few floors?

Some have faced divorce, yet they can say, “I’m okay so far”.

Others have experienced the death of a parent, a child or sibling.  Again we say, “I’m okay so far.”

I know a man who had several thousand dollars embezzled from his retail store.  Today, he says I’m okay so far.”

When I lived in Waco, I became friends with a very well-known doctor who had been diagnosed with cancer.  Every time I asked about his health, his response always was, “Another day above ground is a good day.”

Thanks another way of saying “I’m okay so far.” 

I love the poem Invictus by William Ernest Henley. (1849-1903)
It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

He’s saying “I’m okay so far.”

Have you ever lost a loved one because of death?  Sing with me. 
          “I’m okay so far.”
Have you lost a job?  Sing it again. 
          “I’m okay so far.”

You’re not saying “I’m great.  I’m on top of the world.”  You’re simply letting the world know that your head may be blooded and bruised, yet you are keeping your head up.  You’re still plugging away. 

So when discouragement, disappoint and despair come knocking on your door, close the door and say, Go away.  “I’m okay so far.”

And if we are fortunate, we have some people to come along side us occasionally and whisper “You’re okay so far.  You’re going to make it.”

And sometimes we hear the bigger words, “I believe in you.” And “I love you.”

You’re okay so far!


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment