Saturday, May 19, 2018

Random Early Morning Thoughts


Random Early Morning Thoughts

It’s early morning, and I’m sitting and thinking and writing.  I’m thinking about thoughts, and my endless pursuit of that one great thought for the day that I can turn into something useful for mankind. 

Why?

Why should I care?  Why should you care to read my thoughts?

That last one is the greater mystery.

But to answer the first, I care because … (and the pause lengthens).

I suppose I could say ‘I care because …’
~Because I’m a writer and that is what writers do … they care.
~I have a deadline and I must write. (except I am my own boss of my writing life, and no one stands over me to say, ‘write or die’)
~I might win an award, or get my name in lights. (Hardly)


No.  Those are not lofty enough reasons for me to write like I do.  Rather, I write, I think, because my experience has taught me that mankind needs an occasional glimpse of hope.  Mankind needs a look inside of encouragement, and mankind needs, on occasion, to be inspired.

It is a troubling world at times.  Not only is our present world a conundrum of miss-matched socks, confusing identities, (and I’m not beating the drum of sexual orientation) and conflict.  We are a world seeking hope and validation.  We don’t know who we are, and we don’t know how to be in relationship with others.

I had a conversation recently with a therapist and I asked the question “What is the most common problem you see and hear in your counseling sessions?”

“It all revolves around relationships,” she said.

We kicked that one around for a while and then she said something that I am still thinking through.


“Less ego equals freedom.”


What the heck does that mean?  That takes some unwrapping.  I suppose if my ego is raging, on high alert, then I am bound up in living the story that my ego tells me to live.  If I am a writer, then my story tells me to write a certain style, use certain words, perhaps write at certain times of the day or night.  An inner dialogue is going on between my ears, and my writer’s ego is driving that conversation.

If my ego saw me, perhaps, as a fashionista, I would be spending a lot of money and time chasing clothes, color combinations, shoes and neck ties in the latest vogue.

And, perhaps, my ego would never find satisfaction.  Never!  Because the “new” is always out there somewhere and my inner self will never be happy until I have the next ‘new’.

To take my therapist friend’s counsel, I stop the race toward ego and free myself.

What is that all about?

Less ego equals freedom.

Do I really think this could work? 

This I know … a mindset like this is not for the weak of heart or mind.  It would take great guts to give up some ego. 

And here comes freedom. 


This is my
morning reflection.


Words of Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration



No comments:

Post a Comment