Thursday, July 5, 2012

More Thoughts on Courage



More Thoughts on Courage

“These are the times that try men’s souls.”  Thus spoke Thomas Paine at the beginning of the American Revolution. 

With all that is going on in our world, don’t we all sometimes wonder what it’s all about and where it will end?  When you are challenged, when you are down and defeated – sometimes all we have left is courage.  That is when you find it within yourself to rise up, take possession of your situation, and charge ahead. 

Courage is often a one-man show.  An army may follow, but only after one lone soldier has risen up, looked over the ridge and said, “We must, we shall, overcome.” 

And over the barricade he charges. 

-The bullets may fly all around,
  but onward he goes. 

-Hardships are at every turn,
but onward he goes.

-Discouragement abounds,
but onward he goes. 


Onward he goes, because he has courage and he is going to do his part to earn success at all costs. 

I love this idea: 
Courageous people are often
very afraid, but they
do it anyway.

We all love a comfortable bed.  But we cannot conquer mountains unless we get out of bed.  My friend Desiree sent this thought to me:  “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

I’ve cut the ties to my comfort zone a few times.  I’ve stepped out, tossing caution to the wind, set my sails and away I went.  I had to cut the ropes that kept me tied to the dock. 

Courage!

That’s the stuff of champions. 
That’s the stuff of victory.
That’s the stuff of ‘doing what it takes.’

Courage!

How does one gain courage?

Sometimes we have our back to the wall.  And then we find the courage to step out. 

At other times, we find our courage through our faith in the God of our understanding.  I do this quite often.  Carolyn and I attended a Taize’ service recently at a large downtown cathedral.  One of the songs we sang had this uplifting lyric:


“Nothing can trouble,
Nothing can frighten.
Those who seek God shall never go wanting.
Nothing can trouble,
Nothing can frighten.
God alone fills us.”


That is finding courage in a God who is big enough!

Hoping for you many courageous moments on your journey!


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

P.S.  If you found this helpful, would you kindly pass it along to someone who may need a dose of courage about now?  Thank you so much.

1 comment:

  1. Thanku again for the upwards!! You do inspire me!!! I need more courage!!

    ReplyDelete