Thursday, March 9, 2017

We Face Uncertainty Anyway

I hate uncertainty – yet I’ve had to charge into it so many times in my life.  And I still dislike uncertainty.  However, I’m in good company.  Perhaps you face your own uncertain destiny as well. 

This I know about uncertain people. 
~They start important non-profits
~They walk on the moon
~They discover paths for the rest of us to follow
~They invent iPhones and Uber
~They run for office when all odds are against them
~They open the door to their business day after day
~They risk their savings on an idea or an opportunity

Uncertain people blaze the trail for the rest of us to follow. 

Van Gogh said this: 
“The fishermen know that the sea 
is dangerous and the storm terrible, 
but they have never found these dangers 
sufficient reason for remaining ashore.”

I once had a dream of becoming a real estate tycoon.  Carolyn and I agreed to use some funds I had come into to launch this dream.  It was an uncertain gamble.  I lost, and I am better for it. 

Look at what I learned.  Look at who I met.  Look at the life experiences I gained.  Yes, I am better for it.

One fine day I made another gamble.  I had this crazy idea that I could write and sustain a blog.  And so I began.  I was uncertain if anyone would read my stuff, but I began anyway.  

Today – I write five blogs a week, all for different blog sites, my readership just passed the 250,000-clicks-mark, and people in 125 countries have clicked on my blogs.  I am certain I'll write again tomorrow, whether any reads or not. 

Oh, the Bible talks a lot about faith and all that.  What many of us have reduced that down to is this: 

Our Scientist friends have come up with things like principles of uncertainty and dark holes.  They are willing to live inside imagined hypotheses and theories. 

But many religious folks insist on answers that are always true.  We love closure, resolution, clarity, while thinking that we are people of faith.  How very strange that the word “faith” has come to mean it’s exact opposite. 

(I wish I knew who first wrote this.  When I find out, I’ll give credit.)

Got faith?
Got certainty?

I’m working on the faith part.
I often struggle with the second part.

Yet onward we go.


(The idea for this blog came from page 124 in Seth Godin’s book – What to Do when It’s Your Turn)


Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment