Thursday, September 15, 2016

When God Bakes

Once upon a time in a small southern church in Tennessee, the new preacher called upon one of the more respected deacons to say the opening prayer.  The deacon stood and began …

“Lord, I hate buttermilk.”

The preacher opened one eye and wondered where this was going.  The prayer continued.

“Lord, I hate lard.”

Now the preacher was really concerned.

The prayer continued.

“And Lord, I ain’t too crazy about plain flour.  But after you mix ‘em all together and bake ‘em in a hot oven, I just love biscuits.”

And the prayer concluded.

“Lord, help us to realize when life gets hard, when things come up that we don’t like, whenever we don’t understand what You are doing, then we need to wait and see what You are makin’.  After you get through mixing and baking, it’ll probably be something even better than biscuits.”


Ain’t it so. 

I don’t like hardship.
I don’t like financial woes.
I don’t like relationship strife and discord.
I don’t like jobs where I am constantly having to learn or re-learn.

But I do like growth.  I like looking back on a situation from the other side of the hardship and thanking the God of my understanding that I had that experience and I am using what I learned.

The baking process of life can be a good thing if we are willing to learn how to mix all the ingredients together and let the good things rise to the top.

I don’t like buttermilk.  Boy, do I love biscuits. 
I don’t like the taste of flour.  Boy, biscuits without flour surely are awful.

Maybe we need the distasteful ingredients in life to help us taste the beauty of our lives

Maybe.




Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment