Thursday, May 5, 2016

Burnt Toast

As evening fell, the story-teller took his seat by the fire and began...

Come my children, large and small
I’ll tell you a tale; it’s a good one for all

Once upon a time, in the Smith household it was dinner time. Mom was shuffling around in the kitchen while Dad read his newspaper and their daughter finished up her homework.

Mom announced that dinner was ready and they all moved to the dining table.

Mom placed a jar of jam and some extremely burnt toast and a pitcher of water on the table without a single word.  The daughter
looked on in astonishment.

She watched to see if her father was going to react or say anything.  Instead he picked up a piece of toast and the jar of jam and spread it on thick as if this was a normal meal, all the while chatting amiably with his daughter. 

He asked about her day, and her studies and her basketball team on which she was the lead guard. 

They ate their fill and near the end of the meal Mom apologized for the burnt toast.

Mr. Smith’s reply was a classic.  “Honey, I love burnt toast.”

Later, when Mr. Smith was tucking his daughter into bed for the night, she asked, “Dad, do you really love burnt toast?”

He leaned down, kissed her on the forehead and whispered, “Your Mother has had a long and tough day.  She is really tired.  Burnt toast doesn’t hurt anyone honey, but harsh words do.” 


Oh my.  This speaks to me on so many levels.  I am a user of words.  My imprint is called Up-Words – offering hope, encouragement and inspiration one word at a time.  

If I spoke to you, my reader, in harsh tones, I would soon have a readership of ZERO. 

However, I choose
   Power words,
      Empowering words,
         Uplifting words,
            Inspiring words,
               Esteem building words.  

May you and I always use those kinds of words in our everyday experiences.

I’m here to help, not to hurt.


P Michael Biggs
Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment