Thursday, April 28, 2016

On Becoming Carpenters

Gather round boys and girls, for I want to tell you an important story.

Once upon a time two brothers lived on adjoining farms.  For forty years they were as close as brothers could be.  One sad day they had a falling out with each other that exploded into an exchange of bitter words.  After the words were spoken, there were weeks of silence.

One morning there was a knock on the elder brother’s door.  When he opened the door he saw a man with a carpenter’s toolbox.  “I’m looking for a few days work” he said.  “Perhaps you have a few small jobs here that I could help you with?”

“Yes,” said the brother.  “I do have a job for you.  See that farm there across the creek?  That’s my neighbor; in fact, it’s my younger brother.  Last week there was a meadow between us.  He took his bulldozer to the river levee and now there’s a creek between us. 

“Well, he may have done this to spite me, but I’ll do him one better.  See that pile of lumber over by the barn?  I want you to build me a fence that is 8 feet high so I won’t have to look at his place anymore. 

The carpenter said, “I think I understand the situation.  Show me the nails and the post-hole digger and I’ll be able to do a job that pleases you.”

The older brother had to go into town for supplies, so he helped the carpenter get the materials ready and then he was off for the day. 

The carpenter went to work measuring, sawing and nailing. He worked all day long.

As the sun was setting, and he was finishing his project, the older brother returned.  His eyes opened wide and his jaw dropped as he gazed upon the project the carpenter had built. 

There was no fence there as he had requested.  No fence at all, you see.  Instead, there was a bridge stretching
from one side of the creek to the other.  It was a fine piece of work complete with handrails, and solidly built.

Just as the older brother started to approach the bridge, his younger brother started crossing from his side, arms outstretched toward his elder brother. 

“You are quite a fellow to build this bridge after all I’ve said and done.”

The two brothers met in the middle of the bridge, arms around each other, locked in a great bear hug. 

After a moment they broke apart and turned to see the carpenter hoisting his toolbox on his shoulder.

“No wait.  Don’t’ go.  Stay a few days.  I’ve got a lot of other projects for you,” said the older brother.

“I’d love to say on,” the carpenter said, “but I have many more bridges to build.”

And away he went.


Do I really need to add more words? 

I think not.  Go build your bridges and cross them.


Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment