Thursday, January 7, 2016

Fight in Your Own Armor

One of my favorite expressions as an adult is this – Fight in your own armor.  It is based on a biblical story.  When David, a young lad faced Goliath, a giant, his general tried to put adult-sized heavy armor on David.  He could hardly move.

He chose, instead, armor and clothing he was comfortable in, which meant a simple robe, his sling shot and five smooth stones.  And he defeated Goliath.

My point?  Allow me to borrow a Tiger Woods quote.

Play YOUR Game.

There are a thousand ways to do whatever it is you do.  No one pattern fits all.  You have to find out what works for you.  Go and do things your way

A personal aside:
I am a writer, a drummer, a singer, a conductor and a husband.

I write in a style that I find very comfortable.  My natural gifts include the gift of encouragement, and I attempt to add a bit of encouragement in almost everything I write.  I’m not James Patterson, Tom Clancy or Zig Ziglar, though I come closer to Zig than these other greats.  However, I still have my own unique voice as a writer. 

The same could be said about my drumming, singing, conducting and husband skills.  I play my own game in all those areas.  And so should you.

We learn from others, for sure.  We mimic, we copy, we steal great styles and ideas and then make them our own, and that is the secret – we make it our own.

Are you a recording engineer like my friend Bob in Nashville?  Make it your own.

Do you run a retail store?  There are thousands of models for being a success in that world.  Make it your own.

Are you a real estate agent?  Some bake cookies for open houses.  Some put out balloons or flags.  Some do major newspaper spreads.  What do you do?  What is your armor as a real estate mogul?

If I haven’t mentioned your area of expertise, you are not off the hook here.  Read between the lines and figure out your unique niche for your product or service and go make it, do it, sell it, build it, invent it, write it, sing it, paint it, record it.

We want to see you at your very best and as an original.

After you copy some elements from others and adapt them to your own style you are then ready to make it your own.  Create the new you.




P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment