Thursday, January 28, 2016

Creativity Needs Courage

I want to write about creativity and hidden treasure and courage.  At first glimpse, these three ideas seem to go in their own direction rather than meld together, don’t they?  Yet there is a thread that weaves them together.

I love the word “creativity”.  The mere idea of being a “creative person” intrigues and excites me.  It means that one is capable of bringing forth something new, fresh and perhaps original.  And creativity takes courage. 

A bit of personal insight:  I have long admired the poetry of Shel Silverstein.  His books include The Giving Tree, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Missing Piece and a host of others.  Shel had (he is deceased now) one of the great creative minds as a poet, in my opinion. 

I started a blog site in April of 2014 with the specific aim of writing light, sometimes comical, nonsensical poems in the style of Shel Silverstein.  It is called A Time for Rhyme.

I started my blog writing in October of 2009 and by 2014 I was enjoying a pretty good following of readers.  So on a fine day on April 2014 I decide to launch into uncharted waters as a poet. 

Boy did I need a huge dose of courage.  I didn’t know if I could write any rhyming couplets; much less launch a whole blog site dedicated to this hare-brained idea. 

Somewhere, from something deep within the sparks of creativity flamed and I have managed to sustain this site for nearly two years.

You see, the creative spark and hidden treasures inside my own mind needed a huge dose of courage, and the result is a flow of ideas that have taken over with their own delightful intensity. 

Okay, enough about that.  What about you?  What are some deeply held longings and desires and hidden treasures that are nestled inside of you?  You have them.  You really do.

So here’s the question of the day:


Do you have the courage 
to bring forth the treasures 
that are hidden within you? 

Are you curious enough about your ideas, impulses, inclinations and the stirrings of your heart to dare and explore the possibilities that may lie within? 

I hope so.  I truly hope so.  No one can do it for you.  There aren’t enough of the right words in existence to make you make a start.  You have to find your own measure of courage.  You have to put one proverbial foot in front of the other and begin the journey. 

Let your hidden treasures come to the light.

Have courage!



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment