Thursday, April 16, 2015

A New Meaning for Stupid

Being called “stupid” is, perhaps, one of the most demeaning put-downs one could hear.  Nobody who is anybody wants to be “stupid”. 

I surely don’t, and neither do you.

In our world today, the word “stupid” implies:
Unintelligent
 Dim
  Thick
   Dense
    Slow
     Dull
      Brainless
       Dim-witted
        Obtuse

However …

Could we consider a new slant on this word for a moment?

What if “stupid” simply means “I don’t know it yet?”

It could mean, to a musician, “I’m not stupid.  I just need to practice more.”

I’m now a banker.  There have been times when I have felt oh so “stupid”.  The questions stumped me. 
The policies escaped my grasp.  
The cash box just wouldn't balance.
The computer programs were in some foreign language I hadn't mastered.

I am a less-stupid banker now.  I am learning.

Carolyn’s piano students are showing signs of being less-stupid because they are practicing and gaining new skills every week.

See my point?  Stupid just means we don’t know a thing yet.

So, to get out of the “stupid pit”, here is what we do.

We read, study, learn, grow, and become better.  We gain knowledge and skill and sooner than soon we leave stupid behind and become a real, functioning individual in our current adventure.



Now don’t we all feel a bit better?  We’re not as stupid as we first thought.  We just needed to learn and practice and get better.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment