Saturday, March 14, 2015

Creating God

In my twenties and thirties, my image of God looked very much like that of most other conservative Christian young men with whom I associated.  We gave him the mindset of a stern, mostly mad God, one who was ready to zap us for the first miss-step or wrong thought or deed.

He was not a smiling God.  He never laughed.  He never even chortled.  His voice was booming, and would rattle the dishes in every house within our town if He got too upset with us. 

How have you created God?

We viewed people from other churches as suspect.  Their God couldn't be nearly as great as our God; after all, our God was THE one true God.

As time has passed, my concept of God has changed, thankfully.  He is a more ecumenical God.  I've even allowed God to love some of those we once thought lesser of.  You know the type – the down-n-out crowd, the street people - even drunks and addicts, and others, who have chosen paths far different from the ones I've chosen. 

Can God really love a prostitute, a gay/lesbian?  How about a Muslim or a Buddhist?  And don’t get me started on Catholics. 

How have you created God?

I ran across this quote recently.  It is a telling declaration on our ability to fashion God in our own image.

“You can tell you've created God
in your own image when He
hates the same people you do.”

(At the moment I don’t know who gave us this quote, but it rings true.)

How have you created God?  With what character traits have you lauded him?  With what limits have you shackled him?

I’ll close with this.



OUCH!

Sort of reminds me of this:

“God so loved the whole world
that He gave Jesus Christ, His son …”
(John 3:16)

The WHOLE world.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment