Friday, May 9, 2014

Choices VS Abilities

That idea that we have the privilege of making choices in our lives is intriguing to me.  And when you match up the concept of choices verses abilities, well, we open a whole passel of possibilities.

Let’s take “ability” first.  Mankind is wickedly smart.  We have learned and continually learn how to manipulate, fix, override, negotiate, argue forcefully persuade, market, bend and twist any idea or concept to gain appeal. 

We can send men and women into space and allow them to live there for months on end.  We have electronic devices that boggle the imagination.  We have medical solutions that were unheard of ten years ago.  And in sports, we are achieving feats that astound and amaze even in our advanced age.  We keep pushing the limits of our abilities and understanding. 

Man is becoming a super-human species in our own lifetime.  The question is this – Is there no limit to what we will accomplish next?

And yet we come to the other side of our topic – What about choice?

What indeed!

It is the power of choice that was given to mankind in the garden when Adam and Eve partook of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  That one bite opened up the cauldron of choices, and we have been saddled with that dilemma ever since. 

I found this great quote from a Harry Potter book.

“It is our choices, Harry,
that show what we truly are,
far more than our abilities.”
~Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
J.K. Rowling


Oh, the power of choice.  Some say this is our greatest power.  I tend to agree. 

I can eat anything I choose.  But is it beneficial for me?  I have a serious sweet tooth.  Wisdom says avoid sweets and sugary delights.

I have lots of strength.  I could walk down any street, smash any window, overturn any container in my way, and toss a brick in any direction at anyone I choose.  I could do all of that and more.  But I choose to act otherwise.

I frequent book stores often and I could choose to pick up any assortment of books and magazines arrayed in front of me.  I have that ability, yet my sense of choice kicks in and I gravitate to the sections of my choosing.

I could drive ninety-two mph down the freeways of Seattle, however, I choose rather to be sensible and drive near the speed limit.

Quaint illustrations, I know, but the point is this - what we are capable of doing and what we choose to do sometimes come into conflict.  Where do we find the answers?

Some wise person has said – We are the sum total of the five people with whom we spend the most time.  That speaks of nothing but the power of influence and how we allow influence to affect our ability to make good choices.

See what I’m driving at here?

Just because I have the ability
doesn't mean I should choose
to do the thing.

We are talking about RESPONSIBILITY!   That is the word – Responsibility.

This has as much to do with religion as it does with properly relating to one another on this earth. 

I find this great quote from JFK to be particularly pertinent.

“Our most basic common link
is that we all inhabit this planet.
We all breathe the same air.
We all cherish our children’s future.
And we are all mortal.”
~John F. Kennedy


We all want a future with hope.

And we come back to the power of choice.

That is our responsibility, mine and yours, whether we live in
Dubai
 Des Moines
  Denmark
   Detroit
    LA
     Louisiana
      Saudi Arabia
       Salt Lake City
        Nashville
         New York

Or any other fine city, town, community or village on this beautiful earth.

Remember this:




P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment