Friday, May 23, 2014

Called By Name

There are ten kids in my family.  I am number 9.

Numerous times during my growing up years I can remember my Mom needing to call me in for dinner time or any other occasion.  She would stick her head out the back door of our house and call to me “Donny, Randall, Mike, come to dinner” or “get off that swing set.”  Now keep in mind that I was the only child in the back yard at the time.  In her need to get my attention, and with having nine other kids to keep track of, Mom would kind of warm up on our names until she came to the correct child in question. 

We laugh at that, for it is funny.  Sometimes I do the same with our eight grandkids.

The point is this – I have a name and I am known by name in God’s sight.  And so are you. 

Isaiah 43:1 reminds us of this:  “I have called you by name, and you are mine.”  God knows my name. 

When watching the Olympics a few months ago, it struck me that for every athlete that was coming into the stadium during the opening ceremonies, God knew each one individually.  They were known to him. 

Amazing!

You are not a nobody.  You are a somebody because God has His eye on you and He watches over you.  He never sleeps, takes a nap, or goes on vacation.

And He never mistakes you for say Bill Gates or someone from Detroit if you live in Seattle.  He has you all sorted out in His mind and He pings you perfectly every time.

When you cry out in prayer He doesn’t say, “John, is that you?” when your name is Mark.  He doesn’t say, “Uh, we’ve got a bad connection.  Can you call back next Tuesday when I’m not so busy?”

No, never.

You are known.
Even down to the number of hairs on your head and the crook of your big toe.  He knows about your bad knee, bad breath, bad back and broken piggy bank.

He knows your golf score, your credit score, and your blood pressure.  He knows you like pecan pie, hate broccoli, love baked sweet potatoes and meat loaf.

He knows you by name.

I like a God like that.
  
P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment