Friday, March 14, 2014

Reassuring Words

We love to read and hear reassuring words.
I love to write reassuring words.

And so today, that is my aim.  Need assurance?  Do you feel you are in time out?  Do you feel abandoned?  Do you feel left behind?

Have no fear.  Hope is ahead.

Story time:
In Matthew chapter 14, around verse 22 we see the beginnings of trouble on the horizon.  Christ has been with the disciples and a large crowd of people and now He wants to be left alone.  He sent His men on their way to the other side of the lake so He could meditate for a while.

So off they go - twelve men in a boat.  All is well until – until the blasted storm shows up, and then they have a boat full of trouble.  This was not your ordinary storm.  It was severe, with strong winds, high waves that were crashing in on them.  These fisher men were on the verge of being swallowed - boat, men, nets, oars and everything else on board.  It was a worrisome night my friend.  Trouble was on every side.

About four o’clock in the morning our troubled twelve were at their wits end.  They had tried every trick in the book they knew, and believe me; they knew them all, for they were a band of fishermen first and foremost. 

One of them, Phillip perhaps, looked up and could not believe his eyes.  He nudged Nathaniel next to him, and pretty soon the whole boat-load of men looked at what Phillip was pointing at.

It was a ghost.  At least that is what they thought it was, and they were scared, let me tell you.

And then the ghost spoke.  He said, “It is me.  Don’t be afraid.”  It was the voice of the Master. 

Don’t be afraid.  Those are reassuring words when spoken by the right person at the right time.

What is meant in those three words in our English translation? 

Don’t be afraid.
   I am here.  I am with you now
   I have things under control.
   Trust me for I know what I’m doing
   I can see what you can’t see. 
   Be at peace. 
   All is well.
   I've got your back.

I've had storms in my life when I have heard those words.  And they are true.  The God of the wind and waves has come along and stilled the storm, calmed things down, restored my peace and sanity and put me in a safe place once again. 

And he offers that same calming presence to you also. 

Wherever
     Whenever
          No matter the time

God himself comes along and gives peace.  He gives assurance.

He calms our storm, our mind, and our fears.  He offers amazing and reassuring words in the middle of our storms.

Listen for them the next time the waves slap against your boat.

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment