Thursday, January 16, 2014

Start-Use-Do

Arthur Ashe, professional tennis champ, has given us the seeds for this three-part thought today. 

Start Where You Are
My ideal writing room is already designed.  I simply have to have the money to build it.  Want to know more?  It is a two-story structure with a magnificent ocean view and a full bank of windows looking out upon the water. 

For now, I settle for any place where I can plop down my computer.  I am choosing to start where I am.  I've written in dingy tire stores, Jiffy-Lube waiting rooms, hospital cafeterias, libraries, coffee shops, and a dozen other places.  It is called “taking advantage of the time” and living out this bit of philosophy of “start where you are.”

Where are you?


Use What You Have
What is that in your hand?  Then perhaps one had best learn to use what is at hand first.  The ideal tool may never come along, or it may be a long way off. 

I think I have to have the latest and greatest computer on which to write, and then I’m reminded of Charles Dickens who wrote thirty or more books plus essays, and he wrote them by long hand.  That is the epitome of “using what you have”.

If you haven’t read Acres of Diamonds by Russell Conwell perhaps now is a good time.  It addresses this very emphasis in such an insightful way.


Do What You Can
There is a lot of stuff you and I will never accomplish; ah, but what can we accomplish?  Until we have both feet in the grave, perhaps we can still find something worthwhile to contribute to our corner of the world. 


Make things
Build buildings
Bake and cook
Write
Sing
Manage
Instruct
Coach
Heal
Unlock for others
Sell

And if you are simply unable to move without difficulty, perhaps …

Encourage
Write a letter/card
Make a phone call

Find a way to do something worthwhile that in some way impacts your corner of the world.

Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.

Three great action orders for the day.

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment