Thursday, April 25, 2013

Is God Mad at Us


If there is an idea that needs to circle the globe it is this:



That is one of the most liberating thoughts one could hear.

We are accepted.
     We are loved.
          We are cherished.

God is very fond of you.

A story:
One day I had a conversation with a friend of mine.  I asked what her God concept was and she began a litany of the typical phrases one might expect to hear.

I stopped her at one point and commented that that is well and good, but what do you really think about God?

She thought for a moment and said …

“I think God is mad at me.”

I asked questions and she continued.

“Once, when Jen (her only child) was a little girl, I was boiling some water on the stove.  She went over to the pot when I wasn't looking, reached for it and poured the water on her head.

“God must hate me to let something like that happen.”

How does one respond to a comment like this? 

I think the finest example of how God views us is told in the story of the prodigal son. 

In my own words and understanding, the son was restored to his rightful place as a SON, not as a slave/servant. 

He expected to have to go and live with the pigs. 

What he got was restoration along with the best robe, the signet ring, new sandals, and a banquet with the best food, the best drink and great merriment. Luke 15:11-32

The words the son heard were the same words God offers to each of us.

Welcome my son/my daughter.
Welcome home.
Come on up to the big house where you belong.  The covers are turned down, a warm bath is prepared for you, and there is plenty of food on the table. 

That sounds like an accepting God to me.  He’s not mad at all.  He’s offering love, a place at the table. 

God IS Grace.
God IS Love.
God IS Forgiveness.

Is God mad at you?

Not even a little bit!


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment