Thursday, April 5, 2012

Nouns or Verbs?


Are you a noun person or a verb person?


Noun people accumulate “nouns” to define their lives.  You know – houses, sports equipment, wonderful places visited, collections of whatever, clothes, and a thousand other “nouns”.


Please understand this:  I love nouns.  I’ve accumulated a few in my life and they are fun, and sometimes necessary to own and have around.  Life would be tough without “nouns”.







But I want my life to be defined by verbs that I demonstrate more than the nouns I own.

What if this was said of you?

-He’s one of the kindest people I’ve ever known.

   -What a model of integrity she is.

      -He is a statesmen looking out for the next 
        generation.

         -She’s the best employee 
           we’ve ever had around here.

      -What a kid.  He was a role model 
        for all of the others in the classroom.

   -She is a generous and kind hearted lady with class.

-She is my most trusted neighbor.


Trophies are good.  A life full of verbs is better.

Rob Bell said this in his book Love Wins“That’s why wealth is so dangerous.  If you’re not careful you can easily end up with a garage full of nouns.” 

I don’t want a garage full of nouns.  You can’t take them with you.  You get tired of them sooner or later and you want different nouns.

But let me feed on the verbs people have attributed to me and I’m a happy man. 

That’s why I have a file full of comments from blog readers called “Keepers”.  I often re-read these encouraging comments I’ve received.

Nouns or Verbs?

I like nouns.

I love verbs. 

Verbs are full of action.  Verbs tell our stories best.

Verbs are full of your good qualities.  They are full of your grace-filled living.  They represent you at your best. 

Be a verb person.  Live out loud. 

Doing. Being. Living. Loving. 

Live your life full of verbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment