Friday, November 6, 2009

Focus, Part Two

Welcome to “Focus” Part Two. If you are just discovering this series of articles on “Focus”, I want to remind my readers that my photographer friend, Larry Curfman, from Centralia, WA provided some fine examples and metaphors for this series of articles.

We ended our discussion last week with this thought in mind.

DEFINE YOUR MISSION AND STICK TO IT!

Let’s extend this thought today.

Have you given thought to how your mission statement reads? Your mission statement should be a brief, clear representation of your purpose for existing. Some mission statements take a broad view that is all-encompassing of the main tenants of the organization’s overall objectives. Some are clear, precise and to the point.

Here are a few examples:
Walt Disney: “To make people happy”
Wal-Mart: “To give ordinary folks the chance to buy the same thing as rich people”
Mary Kay Cosmetics: “To give unlimited opportunity to women”

I have known for some years that I have the ability to work well with people. I can make friends easily and often earn people’s trust in a short period of time after meeting them. When I link this ability with my “encouraging nature” I live out my mission by using my people skills in a more significant way.

A few years ago, on a Sunday afternoon, I was watching the movie “Patch Adams.” There is a moment near the end of this movie in which Patch is appearing before a board of doctors who are trying to decide whether to allow him to continue his studies or ask him to leave medical school. In an impassioned plea for his case, Patch cries out, “I simply want to help people. Please let me help people!” (Paraphrased interpretation)

When Patch Adams (played by Robin Williams) delivered those lines, something within me cried, “That’s me! That’s what I want to do with my life. I too want to simply help people.”

I connected the dots in that moment as to the course I wanted the rest of my life to take.

As a result of this Sunday afternoon epiphany, I now have a clear vision of what my personal mission statement is: “To offer hope, encouragement, and inspiration one word at a time”.

Every time I meet someone and we are able to engage in any kind of an extended conversation I find myself seeking ways to say a word of encouragement and hope to them. My senses tune in to our conversation so that I know what is important to them, what is concerning them and what issues they may be facing. I have identified my mission and I am sticking to it.

What about you? What is your mission? What is your life all about? What is your business all about? Does your mission statement match your goals and dreams? How strong is your passion factor? Is there a need for your product or service? Is it good for you and is it good for your world?

DEFINE YOUR MISSION AND STICK TO IT!

Coming next week, “Focus”, Part Three.


“Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do."
-Dr. Benjamin Spock





__________________
Michael Biggs is a motivational speaker, writer, personal speech coach and top rated vocal soloist. He lives in Edmonds, WA. with his wife Carolyn. His company is called Up-Words, Offering Hope, Encouragement and Inspiration One Word at a Time. Michael’s business experiences include Director of Sales and Director of Marketing for three major music publishing companies, Regional Director for Sylvan Learning Centers, and as a successful multi-line insurance agent. He is available to speak to your business or organization. Please contact him at 206-349-1888 or email him at pm.biggs@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment