Saturday, November 14, 2009

Focus, Part Three

Welcome to “Focus” Part Three. In preparation for this series of articles my photographer friend, Larry Curfman, from Centralia, WA provided some fine examples and metaphors to use as analogies.


PROBING QUESTONS

In order to help sharpen our focus on the project at hand, let’s ask some probing questions and give frank and honest answers.
Why should I pursue this idea/dream?
Why should this business exist?
How might this business reflect my mission statement?
What skills and talents will I personally need for success in this venture?
What resources do I need in order for this venture to succeed?
Where will the business be located? Where will I live?
How will I market the business and my skills?
Where do I envision this business to be in three years, five years, and ten years?

I’ve asked and answered these questions and more during the launching of Up-Words. If you are like me you’ll find that the answers change as you grow into this business.


STRENGTH-BASED FOCUS
Depending on the scope of your plans and venture, you might involve a business partner and assign them one area of your plan for their specific focus. Match the responsibility with their individual strengths.

I’ve been listening to “The E Myth Revisited” by Michael E. Gerber. In it he uses the example of a widget company started by two men who were best of friends. After a shaky start the men realized that they needed to reorganize their thinking, sharpen their focus and redefine what their widget business was all about. They divided up the tasks and job descriptions according to their strengths and interests. Their efforts to refocus created a business that was stronger, more viable, and ultimately more successful.

Recently, I met with a web designer to begin the process of refining and redesigning my website. I included my wife as a part of this discussion because of her keen insights and analytical thinking skills. Our collective ideas for this site created a stronger internet presence.

Be open to allowing people you trust within your sphere of influence to contribute their expertise to your cause. It’s a good idea to spell out the parameters in which you want their help.


USE A CRITICAL EYE
In preparation for the web meeting I spent a lot of time perusing the web to get ideas for layout, color scheme, verbiage, and the overall feel that I wanted my website to represent. This helped focus my thoughts.

When I enter my office at home, I focus on one or two tasks at hand. Is today a research day, or is this an article writing morning? I first decide what the most important task is for this block of time, and then begin on that task.

My photographer friend Larry said he always asks, “What is the focus of the photo”? That becomes the object of his focus. If he is shooting an outdoor scene, there may be an impressive waterfall nearby, but he is there to capture a beautiful butterfly, so that becomes his focus.

I’m reminded of a time when I was discussing several writing projects with a friend of mine who is a published author of twenty-six books. I had ten ideas for projects to write about but had not begun writing any of them.

Harold wisely said, “You need to narrow your focus, Michael. You need to identify one or two of your best ideas and write about those first, then move on to the others.” That was great advice!


FOCUS IS: Single-mindedness, identifying and zeroing in on the main point, unwavering attention to the important, attention to the primary, discipline, paying attention, and making choices.


__________________
Michael Biggs is a speaker, writer, speech coach and vocal soloist. He lives in Edmonds, WA. with his wife Carolyn. His company is called Up-Words, “Offering Hope, Encouragement, and Inspiration One Word at a Time”. Michael’s business experiences include Director of Sales and Director of Marketing for three music publishing companies, Regional Director for Sylvan Learning Centers, and success in sales in retail, insurance and real estate. He is available to speak to your business or organization. Please contact him at 206-349-1888 or email him at michael@up-words.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment