Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Of Course You're Afraid

I’ve written and posted blogs that made me fearful.  I’ve wondered, pondered and fretted if I was telling too much, or stating something so off-base as to embarrass myself or my family. 

Batters face fear.  Will the ball hit me in the head?  Will the umpire be fair in calling the pitches?  What if I strike out … on national
television?  What if I trip while running to first base?

New jobs cause fear.  Can I produce to their expectations?  Will they like me?  Will I get along with my co-workers?  Are my ideas as good as I once thought? 

Driving can be a frightful experience.  Will that truck stay in his lane?  Will the guy behind me pass me and get off my bumper?  Can I stay awake until I reach my destination?  Will my car get me there without breaking down? 

Such uncertainties.  What a conundrum. 

And we do life anyway. 

Life is a gamble.  Waking up every day presents us with a number of fear-provoking opportunities.  And we do it anyway.

Pathfinders face fear every day.  They are headed to unknown territories, new vistas, new creations, new product launches, and they are not absolutely certain of success.  Often, there is a lot of money on the line, and what if we lose it all?

Can you imagine the fear Neil Armstrong faced as he prepared to walk on the moon?

And yet he faced his fears, his angst, and did the thing for which he was trained.  He faced the uncertainties of space.  He trusted his co-workers, his training and his own skillset.  He imagined new horizons and he wanted to see what was beyond the next rock. 

He overcame fear.

So, to all the fearful and the uncertain ones among us, I say this.  You are in good company as a fearful one. 

Now, lace up your shoes, weigh your choices, the possible outcomes, and the intriguing possibilities of success.

And if you still want to go and be and do, then face your fears and do just that.

This is my morning reflection!


Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment