Friday, May 30, 2014

What Defines You

I stumbled across this sentence tonight and it arrested my attention.  Here it is:

We do not have to be
defined by the dark
moments of life.

There is no record of who said this.  I just know it is powerful. 

You and I have had our dark moments, our dark trails that we have had to travel.  If we allow those experiences to define our lives we would be in a terrible state of discouragement and discontent.  There would be no hope, no anticipation of the future, no gleam in our eyes of all the possibilities that lie before us. 

Some of those trails were made by our own hands.  There is something I want to remind all of us – you and me. 

We are not our failures!

Sure, we’ve failed at something, but we are not our mistakes.  Sometimes ice skaters fall down, but they manage to get back up and keep skating. 

That is a critical concept. 

And then there are those things beyond our control that have come along and darkened our trail.  What then? 

Why, we tunnel through.  We persevere.  We keep planting one foot in front of the other and we find the resources and the inspiration from wherever it is we search for them. 

I am a man of faith so naturally I turn to my faith beliefs first in times of darkness. 

However, faith alone isn’t enough.  I have to put actions to my faith.  I have to still grab the shovel and dig, for the mountain will not get out of the way of its own accord.

So what defines you? 

I hope your answer revolves around words like these:

Resolve
Determination
Creativity
Faith
Resiliency
Action

When your dark moments come what defines you?

That is perhaps one of the most important questions you will ever answer.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment