Monday, March 24, 2014

Surprise Yourself

When is the last time you surprised yourself?  Have you turned your creativity loose in a moment of inspiration and just created something outrageous, wild, funny, or tasty?

I love to cook.  Once, when Carolyn was away I got an inspired idea and tried my hand at a chocolate something-or-other dessert.  I mixed, whipped, molded, stirred, added, and … it was a flop.  It was a delicious and fun flop.  I only ate one helping of this delectable dish and threw the rest away, but it was fun, I learned what not to do next time, and made a memory. 

What would you like to do? 

I’m trying my hand at poetry ala Shel Silverstein.  He has always amused and delighted me with the way his mind worked, and recently I've tried my hand at writing some poetry that has absolutely no redeeming value.  It is just fun. 

And do you know what?  Some of it is pretty good.  I test market these on Carolyn, and most of the time she laughs out loud and applauds my efforts.  I’ve even dared to post two on Facebook and have received favorable comments.

Will everyone in the world like my stuff?  No.  Seth Godin has helped me immensely with this part of life. 

Seth says in part:  “You will not reach everyone in the world with your widget, gadget, poem, novel or whatever you do.  All you really care about are those who DO like what you do.  Go after that segment of the population and forget the rest of the world.”

So, Seth.  I have surprised myself lately.  I can write a few poems that a few people like.  Will I win a Nobel Peace Prize for Poetry?  Not hardly.  But I am delighting myself in a new and creative vein, and some of my readers are smiling as well.

You never know what you can do until you try.  The sale you almost made pays the same as the painting you thought about but never put on canvas.

Critical concept – DO SOMETHING!  If it works, great.  If it doesn't, you had fun and surprised yourself.

And maybe ‘delight’ visited your house.

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


1 comment: