Thursday, February 18, 2016

On Becoming Unforgettable

Nat King Cole said it first in song.  His version with daughter Natalie has become a classic in the annals of music history by now, or should be.


I am a writer and that means I work with words.  This quote caught my attention this week.

Each phrase has a double edged prong.  Note this

“Flatter me – not believe you.”
“Criticize me – not like you.”
“Ignore me – not forgive you.”
“Encourage me – not forget you.”

The first part of each phrase involves using words.  Even the ‘ignore’ phrase uses silent words, and sometimes they are the most hurtful of all.

And the last part of each phrase – our reactions to those phrases.

I want to be one who encourages you.  Not simply because of the possibility of you never forgetting me, but because I want you to leave after our lives have brushed up against each other and I want you to hear something from me that is a great predictor for your future, or a boost and a lift to your present situation.

We have enough negative garbage going on in our world.  I’m all about spreading the good stuff, the positive and believable facts and possibilities that abound in your life.

And you know what?  I need that too, and I do receive my fair portion of encouraging words and thoughts from many people. 

So, how can I encourage you today?
And how can you encourage someone on your path today?

Believe me; people around you need a strong word of encouragement. 
Life is hard. 
Relationships are harder. 
Money is tight.
Health issues abound
Prices are rising.
The political climate in our world is at crises stage.
People are discouraged. 
And my crystal ball is unplugged.

Think we need some strong words of encouragement?  I do!

Be an encourager. 

BE AN ENCOURGER and you‘ll never be forgotten.

I replay a letter I received once from a friend named Michael Wells.  It arrived at a desperate moment in my life when my future was uncertain career-wise.  His last words in the note were, “And oh, by the way, we are praying for you.”

Twenty-two years later I still remember that note and that experience.  He helped me hang on a bit longer until the next word of hope arrived. 

Want to become unforgettable?

Be one who encourages.

And now, just for kicks, enjoy Nat and Natalie’s song.



 If the above link doesn't work, click here





P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment