Thursday, February 23, 2012

What Is a Team?





What is a team?
What is a winner?
Where do competitiveness and cooperation meet and merge as one?

You need to watch this video first, and then let’s continue with our thoughts.  It takes six minutes.



Sara, as you can see, was out of the game.  If a player on her team even touched her, the homerun she had just hit would end up as a 2-run single.

But in the midst of a competitive game of softball, along came two very brave and generous young women who put care and cooperation ahead of the scoreboard.

This story touches me and moves me on so many different levels. 

It has the agony of defeat and ultimately the thrill of victory, and in this case, both sides won that day. 


What is a team?

A team is a group of individuals setting aside their own agenda to support and aid one who can’t cross the finish line on their own.

We see teams in action often.
-Humanitarian groups and church groups feeding the homeless
-Social services groups offering a warm bed and safety from the dangers of the street
-Missions-minded groups offering their skills to build a school, a church, or a home in a deprived area of our world.
-Medical doctors taking personal time off to serve in a poverty area offering medicine and healing

What is a team?

A team is you and me banning together in love and community to offer a cup of water to someone who is thirsty. 

Someone near you may need your team to help them out this week.  Will you be a team player?

I’ve befriended a young man named Michael who is homeless on the streets of Seattle.  We occasionally talk and I’ve bought him more than one meal in recent months. 

He stopped by to see me last week and just wanted to let me know he was okay and that he was now living in an apartment.  During the times Michael and I talked I often wondered if anything I was saying or doing was making any sense.

Something worked right, for Michael came to me last week just to say “thanks” and let me know he was doing better.

I became Michael’s team on those days when we talked. 

What is a team?

It’s you and me reaching out a hand to help, an ear to listen and a heart that loves.


No comments:

Post a Comment