Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Person behind the Label


“You’re fat!”
     “You’re ugly!”
          “You don’t belong!”
              “Hey homo!”
                    “Who dropped you on your head, 
                      dumbo?”


The labels we wear in life.  Don’t you just hate them?

I do. 

I’ve had a few labels attached to me down through the years.  Want to hear a few?

“You’re an accident waiting to happen.”  Ouch.  That was said to me over thirty years ago.

“Get away from that thing, boy.  You don’t know ‘nothin about machinery.”

I was given a tee-shirt once with this on it:  “I must hurry and catch up with the others, for I am their leader.” 

Yes, we laugh, but don’t you see that there might just be a bit of sting to these caustic remarks?


What labels have you worn?  

What labels do you still bear?

I was once called “knot-head.” 

I am seeking to redeem every ill label anyone has ever cast my way and your way.  What we must always remember is this:



Do we internalize our labels? 
Do we dwell on them? 
Do we become what our labels imply? 

Well, that is up to how we decide to respond to the labels in our lives.

Me?  They are distant memories, and I am choosing to move past all of these labels.  I am choosing to see myself as I choose to become.

I am choosing to become one whole, complete, happy, and well-adjusted human being. 

I am full of goodness.
I am competent.
I can successfully lead a quality life.
I love people and people love me in return.

And so can you become all of these and more.

Make the choice!

What are you choosing?


Interesting words – “choice” and “choosing”.


Are you choosing your responses to these negative and hurtful labels that have been levied toward you during your lifetime?

Nothing of detriment clings to me.
No labels are visible.
The essence that I give off is good, wholesome, positive and getting better.


They are only words. 
               They only have power 
if we allow them to.

I have since learned how to handle these sharp barbs thrown my way.  Today, I am a successful leader.  I have proven that people will follow.

I have been successful in a multitude of activities and career choices. 

So, do labels linger?

Only if we allow them to. 

Only if we allow them to.

There is a person behind every label mankind can level against one.  Step around those labels.  Become better than the label.  Become the best you that you can become.

I see you; a respectable, wholesome, care-giving and thoughtful individual with more good traits than anyone could possibly deny.

Let your label read “Happy, Fulfilled, and Moving toward Better”.

There is a person behind those labels, and you are a becommer!

1 comment:

  1. Here's a label for you.
    Child of God
    Son of the King
    Heir to Heaven
    Forgiven and Saved
    Chosen one!
    These Are the labels that our Father gives to us, and they should be worn with pride. Why is it that so many of us live our lives trying to hide from these labels that God has given us and instead choose the labels man gives us?

    ReplyDelete