Thursday, August 4, 2011

What's in a Word?


I believe in the power of the right word spoken at the right time.  Do you?

I write about this topic often; partly because my imprint, my website and my blog is all about Up-Words.  I want to write to offer hope, encouragement and inspiration one word at a time.


Words Penetrate
Words seep down into a person’s heart and inner consciousness and lie there allowing a person to think about them, mull them over and cogitate on what has been said long after they were originally uttered. 

That is all about the power of the subconscious mind.  Psychologist and author Dr. Denis Waitley notes that the subconscious mind cannot tell the difference between a real and an imagined experience.  It only accepts what is offered.  The subconscious makes no judgment on what it experiences.  It accepts what is offered.

I can remember certain words that have penetrated straight to my heart down through my years of living.  Some have been good and wholesome.  Others have hurt, yet I recall them.

Here are a few:

“Get away from that thing, boy.  You don’t know nothin about machinery.”
“Michael, what are you pretending not to know?”
“I love you and the way you care for me.”  (Spoken by Carolyn to me on many occasions)

May you and I speak good and wholesome words that will penetrate deep down into the inner sanctum of a person’s soul and heart, and may they lie there and be discovered over and over again. 

Good, wholesome, kind, nurturing and healing words of grace and love. 


Words Liberate
The right words can set a heart free.  Guilt, remorse, regret and a sense of lose can be turned into gladness, joy, hope, faith, fullness. 

The scriptures are full of such power words and phrases. 
“I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
“I will be with you wherever you go.”
“I AM!”
“For God so loved that he gave …”
“Come unto me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
“You are forgiven. Go and sin no more.”

My goodness.  I feel as if I’ve been to a majestic cathedral somewhere and heard from God himself, and all I’ve done is sit here at a desk with no one around and let my mind wander down this track.

I feel liberated just by typing these words on this screen. 


Words Elevate
I’ve heard and read numerous stories of men and women who have had a dramatic turn-a-round experiences simply because of a few words spoken by someone who crossed their path.

One man was put on the path of regaining his self-respect simply because a businessman noted how he had neatly tied his shoe laces.

I know a lady who was elevated one day when someone saw her do something less than respectable and simply commented, “You are better than that.”

When people see the better side of us, even though we don’t always show it, and offer a word of encouragement and hope, we experience that elevated feeling that says “Yes, I can see that for me.” 


Words Illuminate
I am a reader.  I read somewhere between 15 and 60 books every year.  Words in these books and magazines often illuminate my path.  I am in constant search for the next great blog idea or chapter for the book I’m writing.  I find these nuggets in all kinds of places and all kinds of material. 

“I Approve of Myself” was found in a magazine.
The idea for this blog came from a book I read recently.
The scriptures are full of illumination. 
Friends toss words my way often and these words of hope have proven to be illuminating in my life.

Now, I’m seeking for ways to illuminate other’s pathway as well.


Words Rejuvenate
Words bring new life to old and dead bones. 
Words heal. 
Words restore. 
Words build up.
Words give one meaning.
Words repair the damaged soul.
Words offer grace in a sometimes graceless world.


May your words do the work of healing and restoration in the lives of those you meet.  There is power in the right word spoken at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment