Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Significant Life

In the course of living my life I’ve had some major influencers who have crossed my path. Their footprints loom large and deep. I am marked in good and wonderful ways for having known them.

Let me tell you about Wilbur. I first met him when I was living in Orlando, Florida. I was a young music minister still wet behind the ears and fresh out of college. Wilbur was the pastor of another church in town. His music minister, Ron, also a young buck, and I became good friends.

One day I dropped by Wilbur’s church to see my friend Ron. He and Wilbur were playing ping pong, and I soon found myself playing against Wilbur. He was a young and snappy thirty-nine year old at the time. I have replayed that day many times in my mind.

Wilbur was dressed in black slacks, blue shirt, striped tie and playing ping pong in his sock feet. He was quite good at the game, but what impressed me most was his acceptance of me as an equal. He didn’t talk down, or try to impress me with his stature. He accepted me. I belonged. I mattered for those moments I was in his presence.

Time passed, our lives took different twists and turns, but I seemed to always know where Wilbur was. He ultimately rose to a high ranking position within his church denomination and our paths crossed a few more time.

Every time I was with him, I experienced esteem, warmth and graciousness. He was Mr. Grace, Mr. Integrity in the flesh.

And now Wilbur is in his retirement years. We correspond on a regular basis. He follows my blogs and often responds with words that inspire and encourage me.

Wilbur has truly lived a significant life.

Today’s interaction on Facebook caused me to pause and reflect on his life and the lives of others that I could write about.

What grabbed me most is this; he has lived a large life, on purpose. And he keeps looking back for those that may be following to see if he can inject a word, a comment, an act of grace into their lives.

Wilbur was actively working until just a year ago. He was guiding young lives at my college alma mater; applying his touch on their lives in kindness, gentleness and usefulness.

Wilbur Brannon is still living a significant life, even though his mobility is not what it once was, and his heart wants to go places his body can’t take him.

There are thousands of Wilbur’s in this world. Perhaps one of them is your aging parent or grandparent.

So, what is their place in our world? What can they do now, given their present circumstances that might possibly make a difference? Maybe it is their turn to do a little receiving.

Maybe we need to reach out and remind some wonderfully influential person just how much they mean to us. Pause now and make a phone call. Write that note. Post a kind word on Facebook.

I believe in giving roses to the living. So to my friend Wilbur, thank you for your endurance, your faithfulness, for teaching so many of us valuable life concepts, and for your sustaining graces.

You have lived a significant life. And we are better for your having passed our way.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you P. Michael for honoring those who have touched your life and blessing me with your words.

    I love you, C

    ReplyDelete