Saturday, October 2, 2010

Has Your Life Had a Beginning?




I am a sucker for great quotes.  Here's one I like.

"Fear not that your life
will come to an end
but that it will never
have a beginning."

John Henry Newman, British theologian


Coasting
     Drifting along
          Aimless living
               Meandering
                    Wandering
                         Come what may living


Sounds idyllic, doesn’t it? That’s a great way to live on vacation, I suppose. But day to day?

I want to do some things with my life. I have stuff to write, speeches to give, thoughts to think, people to know, books to read, and my mind to fill with good stuff. God deliver me from drifting into aimlessness. It’s a maze in there, they say.

What do you want to do with your life? Do you have books to write? People to see? Places to go? Concepts to instill into fresh, fertile minds? Is there a mission, a passion that you are committed to that will better define your life?

What will it take to go after whatever it is you want? Is today, perhaps, a good day to make a new beginning?

I think that what John Henry Newman means by the above statement is this: what is your purpose for existing? What are you great at doing? What should you do above all other activities that could occupy your time? Where are your acres of diamonds and of what do they consist?

All of these thoughts are another way of saying “Has your life had a beginning?” Has anything captured your imagination so forcefully that you can’t help but respond to life and to this dominant thought?

Once we reckon with these questions then, I think, we have the beginnings of a beginning.




Once you know the answer to your driving motive for life, begin at the beginning. Begin now, today, whether you are ready or not, and take the first steps on this journey of living your life from the beginning. And when you come to the end, you will be able to look back and smile within and perhaps say, “I did some good along the way.” What a satisfying thought.

I hope you’ll be able to say …

“I made a difference.”
“I changed a life.”
“I lifted a load.”
“I encouraged some weary soul.”
“I showed someone a better way.”
“I helped lift someone from despair to determination.”
“I found a better way of doing ….”

“Has Your Life Had a Beginning?”

1 comment:

  1. Mike:
    In retirement I am enjoying delving into the history of the geography of World Religions. Getting to know what others believe helps me better understand what motivates their lives and enriches my own. With so much mis-understanding and thoughtless generalization of others unlike myself, I am encouraged to learn from others and not be swayed with prejudicial evaluations and wild characterizations without knowing the ground of their spiritual lives.
    I want to save my own soul from the corrosion of suspicion and hatred that survives on flimsy and misleading evaluations of other people's motives. It is easy to make judgments that too easily keeps us from knowing the integrity of the other person.
    I must first personally learn how another person's faith was shaped and how their spiritual life was informed and how their religious tradition was developed to rightly evaluate their character and actions.
    So, I am finding insights cherished in other traditions that have deepened my understanding of the Christian faith.
    Surprisingly I gain more hope and inspiration that I otherwise would have deprived my self from enjoying had I remained satisfied in my ignorance.
    Breathe again. The air of diversity is refreshing. So much is alive with the life of God if we can see "into" the lives of others with compassion.
    There is a universe out there and within. Don't get lost in the weeds around your feet when you can look up and see the sun ablaze with glory illuminating everything with color. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete